INKubator is a new play creation program to foster work with a strong local connection, centering voices and/or themes of our community. This new program offers development support to emerging playwrights through a sustained process to help create a fully realized, stage-ready production.
About the program
- This program is designed for projects at early to very early stages of development.
- Neptune Theatre’s artistic leadership team will select a maximum of three plays per calendar year to be developed in the INKubator.
- Selections will be made from proposals submitted for consideration by the playwright.
- A schedule of work will be created, revised and maintained on an ongoing basis by the playwright in collaboration with the theatre’s Artistic Accomplice.
- The theatre will sign an agreement with the playwright outlining both parties’ commitment to the project and each other.
- The theatre will have first right of refusal to the world premiere of the finished play. The playwright retains all rights to subsequent productions of their work.
- The theatre will work with the playwrights in three-year development cycles. Each three-year cycle will include:
I. Ongoing in-house and/or outsourced dramaturgical support
II. A minimum of two stage-of-progress readings with actors
III. A minimum of one weeklong workshop with actors and a director/dramaturg
IV. Administrative support for the artist in applying for grant funding
V. Access to resources and opportunities for playwrights such as play competitions, professional exchanges, writing retreats etc.
To apply to INKubator, go to our submission page and upload the following documents:
- A one-page detailing your project – vision + synopsis
- A proposed timeline
- Your artist CV
- A writing sample (max 10 pages)
- Support material – reviews, other writings etc (max 10 pages total)
Submissions to INKubator are accepted on an ongoing basis.