Neptune Theatre is Atlantic Canada’s premier destination for live, professional theatre. Our roots are deep in this region. Proudly celebrating our Diamond 60th Anniversary, Neptune is committed and connected to our local community. Our values are grounded in the belief that the power of live theatre can transform and connect. With a mindful and inclusive approach, we are committed to bringing stories that represent the history and diversity of our region and its people to life on our stages.
Statement of Intention
Neptune Theatre seeks to promote equity, inclusion, and access by amplifying voices and stories that have been historically marginalized or underrepresented, and we factor this into every decision we make. We encourage submissions from individuals of all genders, ethnicities, abilities, and identities, and will give scheduling priority to those who self-identify as IBPOC, LGBTQ2S+, d/Deaf, living with disabilities, and/or facing other systemic challenges in our industry. Applicants should be aware that Neptune does not tolerate any form of harassment or discrimination of its employees, patrons, partners and volunteers, or any persons visiting or spending time on its premises. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities at any stage of the hiring process.
Click here to read more
Accountable to the Board, the Executive Director works in partnership with the Artistic Director to promote and realize the Theatre’s strategic vision and to lead and manage the Theatre. The Executive Director is responsible for the Theatre’s operations, including administration, audience outreach, strategic business planning, and fundraising.
Priorities for the Executive Director
The Executive Director’s Year 1 priorities are:
- With the Board and Artistic Director, design and facilitate the development of a new strategic plan for Neptune that is ready to be actioned in summer/fall 2023 to guide 2024/25 budget and playbill
- Ensure Neptune is staffed and operated within the budget parameters outlined in the 2023/24 budget including optimizing staff engagement and staffing vacant positions
- Develop and execute marketing/partnership plans that support the financial success of 2023/24’s program and, in collaboration with the Artistic Director, ensure that audience participation supports budget and production targets
- Strengthen and optimize funder, fundraising and donor engagement and stewardship
- With the Artistic Director, develop a 2024/25 budget and playbill that are aligned with the new strategic plan
The Executive Director’s Year 2 & 3 priorities are:
- With the Artistic Director, develop budgets/playbills (2024/25 and 2025/26) that align with the new strategic plan and realize the objectives set out in that plan
- Develop and execute a marketing and partnership development strategy that supports and reflects the artistic objectives of the Theatre and builds audience base to support the growth and sustainability of the Theatre
- Develop and implement a multi-year financial plan that sees Neptune operate sustainably, eliminate its accumulated deficit, and reduce its mortgage.
- Working in conjunction with the Artistic Director and the Board; lead the Theatre forward in the development and execution of a new strategic plan with a compelling vision that inspires and motivates staff, stakeholders, the theatre community, and the broader community.
- Collaborate with Neptune’s Artistic Director to support the development and execution of the organization’s artistic vision and goals.
- Develop and implement measurable plans to improve Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Access in all aspects of the operation while addressing Neptune’s commitment to anti-oppression/anti-racism.
- Increase audiences and community engagement by creating, expanding and implementing an innovative and fresh approach to connecting with the broader community.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, ensure Neptune has the organizational structure and capacity to execute the strategic plan.
- Develop and foster a workplace culture that maintains the highest standards of excellence, equality, creativity, collaboration, inclusiveness, and fiscal, operational, and organizational integrity.
- Ensure compliance with labour, occupational health and safety and human rights standards.
- In partnership with the Artistic Director, represent Neptune with key local, provincial, and national government officials, industry executives, strategic partners, donors, members, patrons, and other relevant sectors as a spokesperson.
- Establish a strong, collaborative, and respectful working relationship with the Chair and the Board of the Neptune Theatre Foundation to maximize the value of the Board to the organization.
Marketing, Communications, and Digital Strategy
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director and Manager of Marketing and Sales, oversee the creation of the overall marketing and communications strategy to ensure continued and expanding engagement with audiences and external communities.
- Alongside the Artistic Director, develop and implement strategies to ensure patrons, funders, donors, business/community leaders, elected officials and the public understand Neptune’s role, value, and contributions to the social, economic and cultural wellbeing of the province and the region.
Audience Development and Community Engagement
- In support of the Director of Education and Manager of Marketing and Sales, lead Neptune’s overall strategies to develop audiences and engage with communities as outlined in the strategic plan and identify the appropriate metrics.
- Provide leadership to the Box Office in developing and implementing a tactical plan to achieve the goals set out to secure budgeted results for subscriptions, single ticket and school sales using best practices and innovation to maximize the patron experience.
- In collaboration with Neptune’s Director of Development and Partnerships, oversee and participate in fund development strategies ensuring alignment with the artistic vision and the strategic plan.
- Secure a robust and diverse support base for Neptune by establishing, managing, and enhancing existing and new relationships with key sponsors and donors, including governments, to facilitate the creation of new and renewed sources of major gifts, sponsorships and grants.
Front of House
- Support the Senior Front of House Manager in hiring and training Neptune’s Front of House team.
- Develop and set goals for the organization to achieve in delivering world-class experiences for patrons.
- Ensure safety procedures and directives for the service of alcoholic beverages are compliant with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure training manuals are reviewed and updated and the testing of evacuation procedures is conducted regularly.
- Develop an overall financial strategy for the organization in consultation with the Artistic Director, Director of Finance and the Board to advance the strategic plan, the artistic vision, and any longer-term capital projects while ensuring financial sustainability.
- Assume responsibility of the direct fiscal management of the organization within the approved budget, ensuring optimized resource utilization, and maintaining a positive financial position including the management of cash flow and approval of capital expenditures and acquisitions.
- Provide leadership to Finance and Administration, ensuring sound financial structures, regulatory practices and accurate reporting systems are in place including preparing the audited financial statements.
- Working with the Artistic Director and senior management develop a business plan and an annual budget that advances the artistic vision and the strategic plan.
- Maintain sound financial management including financial reporting, forecasting and analysis, accurate cash flow projections and compliance.
Candidates who are interested in applying for this exciting leadership opportunity should send a
cover letter outlining their interest along with a resume to email@example.com
BOX OFFICE & SUBSCRIPTIONS MANAGER
Click here to read more
Department: Box Office
Reports to: Executive Director
Neptune Theatre, a leader in Canadian theatre and Atlantic Canada’s premier destination for live, professional theatre is looking for our next Box Office & Subscriptions Manager.
For 60 years, Neptune Theatre has been at the cultural heart and soul of the Halifax community. Our values are grounded in the belief that the power of live theatre can transform and connect. Our approach is mindful, inclusive and deeply connected to our community. We work with the best local, regional and national theatre professionals.
This is your opportunity to work with a talented team in a vibrant community helping lead a much-loved organization to continued success and growth.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Box Office & Subscriptions Manager is responsible for senior level business planning, leadership and management of box office operations. An experienced leader, the manager leads by example at all times, ensuring efficient operations and exceptional guest experience through professional, hospitable and anticipatory customer service.
The Box Office & Subscriptions Manager is a highly visible, customer facing position. Duties include establishing customer-focused policies, procedures and practices, managing/hiring/supervising/training box office staff and working collaboratively with other departments to implement sales programs that support sales targets (subscriptions, single ticket sales and general ticket sales). The manager also acts as a liaison for visiting theater companies who retain the services of the Neptune Box Office for the rental activity.
Essential Duties include:
- Manage single ticket and subscription sales for all Neptune Theatre productions and rentals Manage and maintain relationships with subscribers including timely responses to subscriber, patron issues.
- Manage, hire, train and manage Box Office staff. Includes staff meetings, performance management, ongoing skills/customer service training, communication.
- Manage Audience View ticketing system, including the following components: Customer Services, Business Intelligence, Venue Configuration, Content Management, etc. on daily basis Daily Sales reports and monthly reconciliation
- Bi-weekly payroll and bi-monthly Box Office Staff Commission Report
- Weekly and monthly sales reports for accounting
- Prepare weekly subscription reports
- Maintain receivables and invoice partners (hotel, Air Miles, etc.) on a regular basis Review unallocated funds report the first of every month
- Manage annual subscription renewal and acquisition campaign
- Prepare annual box office budget, including expenditures/revenue projections and annual plan Assist Marketing in preparing collateral/marketing materials
- Support Marketing and other departments by supplying email and direct mail lists from business intelligence queries in Audience View
- Support rentals coordinator for venue rentals and set up performances that use our box office services.
- Assist Marketing with group ticket sales and co-ordinate group purchases
- Produce monthly box office reports for Sale and Marketing manager and senior management Assist box office agents with Audience View queries and issues
- Liaise with Audience View support regarding software issues, deficiencies and outstanding issues
- Work with development on sponsor vouchering, opening night ticketing and raffle tickets Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Qualifications and characteristics:
- Dedicated, mature, resourceful and calm self-starter who is passionate about customer service and team leadership
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment where attention to detail, accuracy and an ability to multi-task, while maintaining a calm, professional, customer-focussed approach is essential
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and to manage, train and motivate others
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and documentation skills
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Ability to assess and respond to situations quickly, thoughtfully and effectively Three to five years box office experience and ideally, experience with Audience View Three years management experience
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in sometimes stressful situations
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (word, excel, power point, outlook) Position requires the ability to accommodate a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Cash handling and staff scheduling experience
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter and resume to Human Resources via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEVELOPMENT OFFICER: GRANTS FOUNDATIONS & CORPORATE PARTNERSHIPS
Click here to read more
Reporting to the Director of Development and Partnerships, the Development Officer (Grants & Foundations, Corporate Partnerships & Key Relationships) will manage and broaden a portfolio of granting organizations, foundations, corporate partners and other partners through effective proposal writing, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities. Working closely with the Senior Management Team, the Development Officer (Grants & Foundations, Corporate Partnerships & Key Relationships) is responsible for developing tailored strategies to deepen current and to create new relationships, to support the excellence and sustainability of Neptune Theatre and the Neptune Theatre School.
Annual salary, group insurance benefits include life insurance, long-term disability coverage, additional health care, accidental death and dental, Employee and Family Assistance Program, 3 weeks of vacation initially, sick leave, in-house training and professional development opportunities.
Hours of Work
40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., with flexibility and evening work required based on activity requirements.
Location: 1593 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS.
Reports to: Director of Development and Partnerships
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As an integral member of Neptune’s Development team, the Development Officer (Grants & Foundations, Corporate Partnerships & Key Relationships) will:
- Contribute to the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of major fundraising activities with a focus on corporate and foundation appeals, and cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of corporate and key partners.
- Identify, build, and sustain relationships with prospects, grantors, donors, and partners.
- Prepare and deliver high quality proposals, presentations, and other communications materials.
- Provide donor stewardship through impact reporting, tours, and hosting meetings, in addition to fulfilling stewardship plans as set forth for Neptune donors.
- Commit to continued learning and growth.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong organizational skills and acute attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written skills.
- Resourceful and flexible with an ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Comfortable with networking and has a natural ability to build meaningful relationships; confident and eager to engage community, donors, grantors, partners, and colleagues.
- Excellent understanding of the issues surrounding confidentiality and a high level of integrity.
- Experience with customer relationship management tools and databases.
- Understanding of the arts and live theatre.
- Dedication and openness to continuous learning.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A combination of a minimum of five years of education and experience in the non-profit fundraising environment.
- Demonstrated strengths in written and verbal communications.
Neptune Theatre is welcoming patrons to the theatre and remains committed to maintaining a safe environment for artists, patrons, partners, parents and students of the Theatre School as well as our staff. Management believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping everyone who works in this space protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. Please be aware that Neptune Theatre requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, (subject to specific exemptions regarding health).
TO APPLY: * Please note that interviews may take place during the posting period.
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications to: email@example.com using the subject line “Development Officer (G&F)”.